Prince Henry The Navigator
Prince Henry the Navigator of Portugal encouraged Portugese sailors to go out and
explore the unkown lands (lands apart from Europe). But what was his motivation
for doing this?
He wanted to find the legendary Kingdom Of Prester John
He wanted to convert the heathens and continue the crusade against the Muslims
He wanted to boost Portugals wealth by controling the Gold Coast
this was the Gulf of Guinea and it's surrounding lands.
So know we know what his motivations were but how did he help?
By Jeremy Martin
- He made a school in Sagres to train sea captains in the art
of navigation. He encouraged astronomers and geogrpahers from all nations to come
there to give the seamen lessons.
- He encouraged inventors to make new navigation devices and improve on the old ones.
- He made a large library that had books on navigaton and maps made by the
Jews who lived on Majorca.
- He encouraged Italian shipbuilders to teach the Portugese their methods.
- He persuaded nobles who had the money to build large ships
- He gave money to those who wanted to go on large voyages of discovery.
Is that a sock on his head?